Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Favorite Breakfast

I've had strong opinions about things, both culinary and otherwise, from a very young age. For example, I absolutely refused to wear pants until I was in the second grade. To be clear, I was always wearing dresses and skirts, not going pants-less. I would also deign to wear shorts as long as they were not too boyish or sporty. Culottes were another acceptable option. But not pants. Never pants.

I also refused to eat peanut butter and jelly. I know. What kid doesn't eat PB&J? But I had lots of issues with it, structurally and otherwise. I loved to eat fresh fruit but hated the gooey, excessive sweetness of fruit concentrated into jam or jelly. It's also gross how the jelly always makes the one piece of bread soggy, and I honestly was never a rabid fan of peanut butter like other kids. Its heady scent was always a little much for me. But I am happy to report tha as I've aged, I've learned to appreciate salty-sweet combinations and finally had my first PB&J at age 30. Luckily this moment was recorded for posterity.



The other day I channeled the spirit of the good old PB&J and built what has become my new favorite breakfast: peanut butter (or almond butter) and fresh fruit on a rice cake. The fruit is interchangeable, but I've found that I prefer to use fruits which tend to make tasty jams - two favorite variations being figs and raspberries. This brand makes my favorite rice cakes (and that is certainly a statement I never thought I'd utter) because they are not too dense but still fresh and crunchy. It's worth picking up a sleeve if you can find them - they make an excellent base for all kinds of snacks and mini-meals.



I love love love figs.


No comments: