Sunday, November 06, 2011

On the Mend

Turns out I didn't do such an awesome job fighting that cold last week, despite my chicken soup attack. I ended up with a raging case of laryngitis which made for a bunch of super fun work-from-home conference calls last Monday and Tuesday. It also meant I found myself at home, all day, every day. Which means I actually got to make myself lunch.

One of the nice things about making the chicken soup is that you're left with a bunch of fresh dill. In case I didn't make it clear before, I love fresh dill. It just tastes so...fresh.

For lunch on Tuesday, once I was feeling a little bit less like I was going to have to lie down at any moment to take a nap, I made myself egg salad.

I love egg salad. I made up this recipe for it based on a loose interpretation of my deviled egg recipe. When coming home for the holidays in college, I would inevitably get home late at night, long after all the restaurants near us were closed. I'd never want a big meal at that point, but I was always hungry. One time, on a whim, I just decided to make egg salad, a dish for which mom inevitably had all the ingredients on hand. I'm not sure where the egg salad inspiration came from. I didn't really grow up eating egg salad. But there it was. And it stuck.

It became a little routine for me each time I came home from college and to this day, I think of it whenever I want something light and a little bit soothing. It's like comfort food without all the carbs and melted cheese heaviness that normally accompanies such things. 

Kate's Egg Salad

Ingredients

2 hardboiled eggs, peeled
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon greek yogurt (or more mayonnaise)
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 stalk celery, trimmed and minced
2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
a dash of Tabasco
pinch of dried sage  
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste


Directions
1. Slice the eggs in half and separate the yolks from the whites. Put the yolks in a medium mixing bowl. Mince the egg whites and set aside. 

It's important to be sure your eggs are fully cooked. Slightly underdone yolks will make for weird gummy bits in your egg salad.


2. To the yolks, add the mayonnaise, yogurt, and mustard. Mash with a fork to combine into a paste. 






3. Add the minced egg whites and celery to the bowl along with the dill. Combine until well mixed. 

The goal is to chop up the egg whites and the celery so they're basically the same size.


4. Add Tabasco, sage, salt & pepper. (The sage is my secret ingredient.) Definitely taste frequently and add the salt in slow stages because this can get salty really quickly. 



5. Serve on toasted bread, or, as I did, stuffed into toasted pita pockets.


Yum.

No comments: