I skipped the faux bois wrapping paper this year in favor of brown paper packages tied up in...string.
Ribbon counts as "string," I think.
Sugar Cookie Bells
These are a family favorite - my mom has been making them since I can remember, and I think her mom made them before that. This year, I taught my stepmother how to make them. They are great if you're not a frosting person. I'm definitely not a frosting person.
How to make sugar cookie bells:
1. Roll out your sugar cookies like normal and use a bell-shaped cookie cutter.
2. Cut maraschino cherries (aka Sandy's childhood favorite "fruit") into quarters.
3. Place a cherry piece on the "dinger" (ringer? dinger?) of the bell.
4. Brush the whole thing with beaten egg white.
5. Bake according to your sugar cookie dough recipe.
Cute, no? I love their '50s feel.