Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Twelve Things to Kick Off 2012

Happy New Year!

Thought I'd kick off the 2012 posts with a list of a few of my ambitions for the year and a bunch of things I love right now.

Ambitions

1. Be more generous of spirit.
(Way to throw down the gauntlet right out of the gate, Kate.)
Whatever. Go big or go home, right?

This was a suggestion from someone who is well qualified to provide me with constructive criticism. I've been practicing. It's not that easy. But I am really, really trying.

2. Take better food photography.
Luckily, there's an awesome blog called Taylor Takes a Taste which is filled with great tips along these lines. Thanks Taylor! Have ordered some new equipment and can't wait to try out some new tricks.

3. Every month, cook something from this cookbook.

Je t'aime, Jacques. Seriously, how cute is he?

4. Improve my belly on the inside.
2012 is the year in which I am going to solve this ongoing craziness so I can stop ordering like this in restaurants:

 

I'm serious. That's what I'm like these days. Only even more annoying. It's killing me. Trust me, you don't want to eat out with me right now. I'm a mess.

5. Also, improve it on the outside.
I think it's time for some abs. Visible ones. Maybe not all six, maybe just like, two. Two would be nice. I don't really have the body type to make this easy, and I never previously thought this was attainable, but a couple of months ago, a very wise person challenged my thinking on this. I'm going to try. Game on.

6. FINALLY get my financial house in order.
To be fair, I've been working on this since 2011, but 2012 is going to be a time of major focus for this ambition. It's time to grow up and be an adult. At least about this one thing. Also, getting a dog is partly predicated on achieving this goal and I really want to get a dog.

Loves

7. Fresh greens for January.
Nothing says "fresh start to a new year" more than the very faintest scent of eucalyptus.

Just a touch of smell. It's not good when the dining room smells like someone just shoved a cough drop up your nose.

8. This dinner.
I'll write about it in detail soon. You really should make it. It's so wintry and comforting. And easy. I'm warning you so you are ready to go when I post the recipe. 


9. This cape. 
So soft. So cozy. So impractical. Did I mention I bought this at the Brooks Brothers in the terminal (yes, the terminal) at the Detroit Metro Airport? Because I did. And no, I wasn't drunk. 

I like to think I look less bitchy when I wear this cape...but I'm not sure.


10. Barbara’s Oatmeal Snackimals
Holycraparethesedelicious. I believe these are the first packaged cookie I’ve ever liked in my whole 33 years of life. I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that all the ingredients can be found in my own kitchen. I have to negotiate with myself to not eat the whole bag in one sitting. I don't always win.

The discerning reader will notice that the lighting is TERRIBLE in this photograph. That's because I took it in a hotel room with my cell phone. Yeah, I love these cookies so much I took the entire bag to Detroit with me. And ate them all in two days.

11. This cheese. 
It might be the best cheese I've ever eaten. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my hands on more of it because they seem to not sell it online. Perhaps I should add: "Acquiring more Teahive cheese" to the list of aspirations for 2012. 

You'll notice that this is just the wrapper. You wouldn't believe how rapidly I can eat a volume of cheese. I'm like that hot dog competition guy. And I'm not even going to tell you my antics surrounding the acquisition of the remaining cheese at the New Year's party at which I met it. Not my best moment. But. It's. So. Good.

12. Last but not least, this song. 
I love love love it. When I hear it, my heart sings and I feel as though I have found my personal theme song. 

No, that's ok. I'd laugh at me, too, for having just written that. 

All I can tell you is that if we made a movie (a rom com, obviously) about me, this would be the song we play at the turning point when all the pieces come together and everything awesome starts to happen.




I just can't get over this line: 
I'd rather be the one who loves / than to be loved and never even know
And, especially, this one:  
Long time coming but now / the snow is gone

Yes, and yes. 
And for the record, yes, Josh, I will be your darling. (As if you had to ask!)

Finally, to quote a dear friend, "Suck it, 2011."



No comments: