It's not just me, is it?
Yeah, well I've been wanting to make a valance for the kitchen window that matches the cafe "curtains" (really two striped dishtowels) I put up in January.
Not January 2012. January 2011.
Indeed, I am a little bit behind.
I can't quite figure out how nearly a year and a half passed since I assigned myself this project. There was nothing tricky about this valance. I just got busy with life, I guess. And my cute stripe-y valance got backburnered. Big time.
Today, I finally, FINALLY, made the valance.
It was so easy, I'm embarrassed it took me as long as it did to finally get around to it.
Basically, here's how this went:
I took two dishtowels and cut them in half horizontally.
I joined three of these panels by overlapping their side hems and sewing double-stitched hems.
|Joined panels on the floor next to the old non-matching Target-issue valance. I wanted a little more volume in the valance than I got from the old red one. Luckily, the width of three panels is a few inches longer. I love it when things work out.|
Then I hemmed the tops of the joined panels by folding in the raw edge 1/4" and then folding over again to create a 1/2" hem to match the prehemmed bottom of the dishtowels.
|The first fold, ironed.|
Finally, I cut 2 1/2" strips of fabric from the remaining fourth panel, sewed them together lengthwise, pressed a hem, and sewed them on the back of the joined panels 1" down from the top hem to create a channel for the curtain rod.
|You can see the two lines of stitching on the front of the panels that indicates the curtain rod channel. This is now ready to hang!|
And voila! A matching valance! And after all that buildup, I think this project took me all of an hour and a half to do. It was really a snap and I love the possibilities for changing up the look in the kitchen. All in all, these 4 dishtowels cost me about $20 bucks plus a little sewing time for cute, custom cafe curtains and a valance. Not too shabby!
|Yea! Finally! The drapes match...uh...the drapes.|