Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pita? Pizza!

I just uploaded another six blog posts' worth of pictures to my computer which means this catch up game isn't going to end anytime soon. But in the meantime, here's a little quick dinner post.

I cobbled together dinner tonight from some random things in the fridge. Here's a peek.

Normally, I don't keep tomatoes in the fridge. Totally kills the flavor. But as you can see from this pic, these were starting to shrivel and I really didn't want to give them up to the great compost bin in the sky just yet.


These tomatoes really should have done a better job with the sunscreen when they were younger. Probably should have also laid off the cigarettes. 

I thought roasting them might make up for the sin of putting them in the fridge. So I tossed them with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, and threw them in the oven at 400 degrees.

Love the color of these little guys.

After about 30 minutes and one flip about halfway through, I had this.

Roasty and delicious.And gorgeous.
I let the tomatoes cool for a bit and then pureed them in my mini Cuisinart. Love that thing and so much easier to clean than the full-size one.

Now I had roasted tomato puree. I thought about sauteeing a sad little zucchini that's been hanging out in the crisper for a week but in the end decided a pizza-like treatment would be a good use for the puree. And I had mini pitas.

I split a pita and spread the roasted tomatoes on it. Then I added a little goat cheese and threw it all back in the oven at 500 degrees for about 4 minutes until the pita got a little toasty. 

Not bad, but it needs a little something, don't you think? (Sorry for the dark photo.)

Arugula and olives helped round things out. And a drizzle of olive oil, of course.
Olive oil makes everything better.

Another dark photo. Rats. Really need to work on the kitchen lighting.

This little meal actually could have been improved by adding a few red pepper flakes into the puree. Will have to remember that for the next impromptu pita pizza night.

Dinner is served!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Pita pizzas are my favorite dinner! Though yours are more gourmet than what I usually do. I've also done them for dinner parties because I found people love the idea of "make your own" and I love the minimal prep.